• Transition Services

    What is a Transition Specialist?

    A Transition Specialist conducts and monitors implementation of transition services on a student’s IEP, such as training, education, employment and independent living skills. She works directly with students and the IEP team to implement their transition plan and facilitate student transition from educational to adult services. These activities may be in the following areas: postsecondary education, vocational training, integrated competitive employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult residential services, independent living programs and programs to enhance social and interpersonal skills. A transition specialist also provides opportunities for families to learn about post-secondary opportunities and meet with personnel from supporting agencies.


    Who is our Transition Specialist?

    My name is Dee Dickson. I became the Transition Specialist for the Paulding County School District in October of 2017. I have 16 years teaching experience in special education. I have a life-long love for students with special needs and their families. I am here to support students, parents and teachers in developing the most appropriate post-secondary plans for our students with disabilities. My goal is to provide every student with the tools they need to be successful in establishing their life after high school.

    I look forward to working with you.

    L. Dee Dickson

    770-949-9221 ext. 40069



    Transition Tuesday

    Transition Tuesday meetings are held quarterly during the school year on a Tuesday evening at Paulding County High School. We have guest speakers and support staff to discuss topics such as: self-advocacy, guardianship, post-secondary transition plans, waiver applications, community events and support services through GVRA, Parent2Parent and many others. The presentations are designed to answer frequently asked questions and offer support to parents and students who are navigating post-secondary life.

    Transition Specialist Resources for Parents/Guardians and students:

    Parent2Parent    http://p2pga.org/

    GVRA    https://gvs.georgia.gov/

    GVRA Roosevelt Warm Springs   https://gvs.georgia.gov/roosevelt-warm-springs-0

    GVRA Cave Springs    https://gvs.georgia.gov/cave-spring-center-training-program

    DBHDD    https://dbhdd.georgia.gov/

    Georgia Community Support and Solutions  http://www.gacommunity.org/day-programs

    Chanan Foundation   http://www.chananfoundation.org/index.html

    Paulding Enterprise   (770) 445-6051

    Highland Rivers       https://dbhdd.georgia.gov/

    Technical College System of GA   https://tcsg.edu/

    Learning Disabilities Association of GA    http://ldag.org/

    Parent Mentor

    A parent mentor is a parent of a child with a disability who builds bridges between home and school that lead to more successful outcomes for students with learning, behavioral, and/or physical challenges

    When should I call a parent mentor?

    • If you have questions regarding the Special Education process
    • If you need to talk confidentially to another parent about your concerns
    • If you need or have information about community resources
    • If you would like to become a parent leader or help others

    Angela Cammarano-Moses - Parent Mentor

    Phone: 770-443-8030 ext 32011           Fax: 770-443-7027 Email: acammarano@paulding.k12.ga.us


    Who is our Parent Mentor?

    My name is Angela Cammarano-Moses and I am the mother of three wonderful children. My son was born with Down Syndrome and we deal daily with the challenges that accompany his diagnosis.

     I have been involved with the school system through my children for the past 7 years and also coordinate the Paulding County Special Olympics. I advocate for special needs individuals as a Down Syndrome Ambassador and am a part of the Down Syndrome Association of Atlanta. 

    I hope to use my experiences to help your children and you! It can take a village and I am excited about the opportunity to help families in Paulding County.

    Please contact me and I am happy to answer questions, meet with you and walk with you in your journey.


    Parent mentor resources

    Georgia Department of



    (404) 656-2800


    Parent to Parent of Georgia 

    A first stop for families


    (800)  229-2038


    Georgia Learning Resource System


    (770) 583-2528


     Georgia Advocacy Office


    (404)  885-1234


     Highland Rivers Kaleidoscope


    (706) 295-6425


     Georgia Council on

    Developmental Disabilities


    (404) 657-2126