Student Hardship Transfer Guidelines

  • Hardship Transfer Requests for the 2020-2021 School Year will not be reviewed, or decisions rendered, prior to June 1, 2020.


    Parents/guardians of students requesting a hardship transfer from one attendance zone to another within the Paulding County School District must submit a letter outlining the hardship along with any supporting documentation to the Operations Department. The request should include the following:

    • Name of Student
    • Grade
    • Home (Districted) School
    • Choice (Requested) School
    • Detailed Reasons for Request

    Request may be submitted electronically or by mail to:            

    Paulding County Board of Education

    Attn:  Marie Sellers, Operations

    3236 Atlanta Hwy.

    Dallas, GA  30132

    High school students approved for school transfer must meet the rules of the Georgia High School Association in order to participate in extracurricular activities. 

    1. For the purposes of student transfers, a “hardship” is defined as an event or situation in which the Hardship Transfer Committee, determines that a student’s transfer to another school is warranted. The Hardship Transfer Committee will review the application and relevant data (student attendance / discipline) and make a determination to approve, conditionally approve, or deny. 
    2. Transportation for students out of their “home” district on transfer must be provided.  Students on transfer may not ride the school bus either to or from school.
    3. Parents will be notified in writing as to the decision made for the request – please DO NOT call the Board of Education as to the status of your request.  The hardship transfer process usually takes between 2-3 weeks.

    The Paulding County School District reserves the right to deny a school transfer request if the request is not considered a true hardship. 

    Transfer requests may also be denied due to:

    1. The student has excessive attendance, truancy or discipline issues;
    2. Lack of available permanent classroom space in the school to which the student requested the transfer;
    3. Insufficient reasons to warrant the move (disagreement with school administration or staff is not sufficient reason for a transfer to be granted);
    4. Falsification of records;
    5. Other just cause.

    If a student is denied a hardship school transfer, the parent or guardian may appeal the request in writing to the Board of Education.  After review, the parent or guardian will be notified of the appeal decision by the Board of Education, and the decision at that time will be final.

    For more information regarding the Paulding County School Districts School Choice procedures, please see Administrative Regulation Student Assignment to Schools JBCCA-R.