During the 2021 legislative session, the Georgia General Assembly passed the Dexter Mosely Act (Senate Bill 42). This legislation authorizes
home study students in grades 6-12 to participate in extracurricular and interscholastic activities in the student’s resident public school system,
with the requirement of certain notification and course enrollment provisions. The law is codified in O.C.G.A. § 20-2-319.6.
No home school students should attend workouts or practices/competitions until they are fully registered.
The following documents include important information required for home-schooled students to participate in athletic and extracurricular
activities in Paulding County schools.
Enrolling Adult Actions
Parents wishing to enroll using SB 42 (Dexter Mosely) will follow these steps:
1. The enrolling parent/guardian must send an email to the high school Athletic Director, indicating the intent to enroll the student under the SB42 at least 30 days before the first school day of the semester in which a home study student will enroll in a qualifying course.
- A list of the current school Athletic Directors can be found at www.paulding.k12.ga.us/Page/45741
The email must include:
- The SB42 Declaration Form indicating which extracurricular activities in which the student plans to participate.
- A copy of the student’s most recent annual progress report as provided in Georgia’s requirements for home school programs and include the student’s instructor’s individualized assessment of the student’s academic progress in all courses (reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science).
- A written verification by the home school instructor that the student is currently receiving a passing grade in each home study program course and is maintaining satisfactory progress towards advancement.
- A written verification of the date of the initial home school enrollment by the home school instructor or administrator.
- A current copy of the student’s transcript including the number of cumulative units earned to date.
- A copy of the current year Home Study Program Declaration of Intent submitted to the Georgia Department of Education.
2. Schedule an appointment to register the student before the first school day of the semester in which the student will enroll in a qualifying course.
- Link to Central Registration: https://booknow.appointment-plus.com/6g9blvrc/
3. Once the appointment is scheduled, the parent will receive a confirmation email that includes registration requirements and a link to PCSD’s secure Online Registration System (OLR) to register their student(s) and upload all enrollment documents.
Continuation of Enrollment
- The below steps are required for students who are currently approved SB42 students and they wish to continue this in the next school year.
- Send the following documents to your Athletic Director:
- SB42 Declaration Form
- A new SB42 Declaration Form for the upcoming year, indicating which extracurricular activities in which the student plans to participate.
- Updated Homeschool Transcript
- A copy of the student’s most recent annual progress report/transcript including the student’s instructor’s individualized assessment of the student’s academic progress in all courses (reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science) for the calendar year.
- Once the above two documents have been submitted, the district office will evaluate the transcript determining the students eligibility and the school will officially enroll them for the following school year.
Athletic Director Email Contacts
East Paulding High School: Andy Dorsey (email@example.com)
Hiram High School: Jeff Wallace (firstname.lastname@example.org)
North Paulding High School: Ryan Dyer (email@example.com)
Paulding County High School: Chris Stafford (firstname.lastname@example.org)
South Paulding High School: Lamarr Glenn (email@example.com)
District Athletic Director: Sandra "Rene" Webb (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Questions & Answers
SB 42 Dexter Mosley Act
Q: What is the process for informing PCSD that I would like for my student to take a course under SB42?
A: Parent/Guardian should read the documents linked above, and must send an email to the Principal and PCSD Athletic Director indicating the intent to enroll a student with required documents (listed above in the Home School Parent/Student Guidance document) attached.
Q: What are the procedures for registering under SB42?
A: Once an email and required documents have been sent to the school, parent must make an appointment to register student. Please visit https://www.paulding.k12.ga.us/Domain/219 for more information.
Q: Can a SB42 student take more than one course?
A: No. Students registering under SB42 can only take one course.
Q: Is a SB42 student limited to specific courses or can a student select any course?
A: Students who wish to participate in extra-curricular activities are eligible to take any course offered at the zoned school, based on availability, except in Co-curricular activities which may require a specific course based on Paulding County policy. School counselors will schedule your student after a SB42 Participation Declaration has been submitted.
Q: Does student have to attend in person?
A: No. Approved courses may be face to face, virtual, or dual enrollment.
Q: Is a student subject to all rules and regulations of PCSD?
A: Yes. Students must adhere to attendance, Code of Conduct, Athletic Code of Conduct and all other policies as required of all students.
Q: Is a student exempt from any GHSA eligibility requirements?
A: No. Student must meet the same eligibility requirements as all full-time students.
Q: Is my student eligible for any type of school choice?
A: No. SB42 students are required to attend their zoned school.
Q: Can a student tryout or participate in any sport activity before submitting a declaration or registering?
A: No, the SB42 Participation Declaration must be submitted, along with all required documents, and the student must be registered before allowed to try out or participate.
Q: Will my student be eligible to participate in PCSD graduation?
A: No. Students are not eligible to graduate from the PCSD.
Q: Will student be eligible to continue in the course if student is not selected for extra-curricular sport?
A: No. Unless student elects to attend full time, student will be withdrawn.
Q: If SB42 process is completed for a fall sport and student is not selected to participate in that sport, must student begin SB42 process again to participate in a Spring sport?
A: Yes. SB42 Participation Declaration is specific to which sport/activity student wishes to participate.
Q: SB42 Declaration and registration process has been completed. Student is participating in selected sport/activity for Fall semester. Student now wishes to participate in Spring sport/activity. What is the process for another semester?
A: They must maintain enrollment and complete declaration each semester, breaking enrollment would result in ineligibility.
*Any questions not answered in this document can be directed to the Principal at your student districted school.