Welcome to the Sports and Entertainment Marketing Pathway! While taking this pathway, many students have created their own successful online business. Many have also gone on to compete in DECA events where they traveled the country winning money and trophies while racking up accolades to add to their college resumes. Whether you want to impress employers and colleges, or you just want to watch Shark Tank, learn how to market businesses or use some creative technology to create things for your social media pages or websites, this class is for you!
In this super-creative and fun pathway, you will watch shows like Shark Tank and The Profit and work with real businesses to gain knowledge about the 7 functions of marketing. After learning how to create a full marketing plan, you will use this knowledge to create a marketing strategy for your own online business (or business idea). This plan will include marketing and promotional items that you will create by using fun technology tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Weebly and Garageband. You will also discover other types of multimedia tools that will help you impress other teachers and make the coursework much easier in your other classes.
The major focus of each class is listed below. Please note that these serve merely as general guidelines designed to give you an idea about what to expect in each class. Multiple lessons coincide with each line item and an exhaustive list of learning topics will be provided to students in class.
- LEARN ABOUT THE 7 FUNCTIONS OF MARKETING
- LEARN ABOUT THE SECTIONS OF A MARKETING PLAN
- CREATE FULL MARKETING PLANS THAT HAVE PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS, WEBSITES, VIDEOS, AND AUDIO COMPONENTS (FUN!)
- CREATE YOUR OWN ONLINE BUSINESS AND USE SOCIAL MEDIA AND TRADITIONAL MARKETING TO PROMOTE IT.
- LEARN HOW TO IMPRESS EMPLOYERS AND INVESTORS AND PURSUADE OTHERS TO BUY INTO YOUR GREAT MARKETING IDEAS
Intro to Sports and Entertainment Marketing (SEM) -
- DISCOVER HOW THE CONCEPTS OF PRICING, PROMOTION, PEOPLE, PRODUCT BENEFITS, AND DISTRIBUTION EFFECT SEM
- LEARN ABOUT BRANDING, COPYRIGHTS, LICENSING, AND VIDEO/MUSIC PRODUCTION
- CREATE MARKETING IDEAS FOR YOUR FAVORITE CELEBRITIES/ ATHLETES/TEAMS
- LEARN ABOUT SPONSORSHIPS, ENDORSEMENTS, AND THE FINANCIAL SIDE OF SEM
- CREATE YOUR OWN MOCK BAND AND ONLINE PRESS KIT, MUSIC VIDEO, CD, POSTER, AND T-SHIRT
Advanced Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- UNDERSTAND HOW TO BE A SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT AGENT
- CREATE YOUR OWN MOCK SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT AGENCY AND PROMOTE A CELEBRITY OR TEAM THROUGH ONLINE AND TRADITIONAL MEDIA OUTLETS
- SELECT A SPORT AT EPHS AND MARKET IT FOR THE SEMESTER
- PICK ONE EPHS ENTERTAINMENT OPTION TO PROMOTE THORUGHOUT THE SEMESTER (DECA ADVISORS WILL HELP YOU GAIN THE ACCESS YOU NEED FOR THIS)
*When you exit the pathway, you will have a professional online portfolio to show colleges and employers and you will have a chance to earn an End of Course (EOC) Pathway seal for your diploma.
A sampling of items that will be created throughout the pathway:
Movies with green screen and special effects, social media contests, websites, press kits, music videos, songs and background tracks, sports highlight videos, posters, t shirts, stickers, logos, flyers, school store ads, sponsorship signs, package design, uniform design, billboard replicas, brochures, and anything needed to properly promote your current idea. We can do it all!
20-21 CLASS SCHEDULE
1st - Advanced SEM
2nd - Intro to SEM
3rd -Intro to SEM
4th - Planning
1st - Marketing Principles
2nd - Marketing Principles
3rd - Intro to SEM
SYLLABUS AND ASSIGNMENTS
Please note that I utilize Infinite Campus and Canvas to distribute assignments, grades, and comments to students. I also provide screencasts, work samples and valuable learnng tools for each unit on my class website mrlewisprojects.weebly.com. The site will be updated as each unit is introduced.