- Paulding County School District
School Board Recognitions Jan. 8, 2019
Presentation of Colors
The East Paulding High School JROTC led off the Jan. 8, 2019 Board of Education meeting with the presentation of colors.
The East Paulding High School AFJROTC presented the colors at Jan. 8. 2019 Board of Education meeting. From left are: Cadet Johnathan Klapste, Cadet Hayden Bailey, Cadet Jaime Johnson, and Cadet Jasmine Thompson. The team is led by instructor MSgt. Stan Parker.
New Board Chair and Vice Chair
In unanimous votes, Jeff Fuller was elected chair, and Kim Cobb vice-chair, of the Paulding County Board of Education for the 2019 calendar year.
Fine Arts In Action
Drum Majors are chosen through a rigorous selection process each year which includes an application, essay questions, interviews, special trainings, service projects, a week-long conducting camp (in addition to band camps already at their school in the summer), and formal auditions before a panel of judges.
The drum majors are the highest-ranking members of student leadership for the band and they work almost the same number of hours as the directors themselves, spending countless hours outside of rehearsals studying scores, practicing conducting, working individually with students who need extra help, while also handling logistics for rehearsals so that each after-school rehearsal is as smooth and effective as possible.
Marching Band Drum Majors are excellent examples of servant leadership and we are honored to have them with us tonight.
East Paulding High School:
- Sarah, a senior, is a trumpet player and plans on attending a four-year university to major in neuroscience and minor in musical theatre or music and hopes to research the many impacts music can have on the brain and development.
- Mia, a junior, is a trumpet player. Mia plans on attending a university and hopes to major in architecture. She also wants to continue band in college.
The Director of Bands at East Paulding High School is Mr. Michael Thomas and the Assistant Band Director is Mr. Josh Robichaux.
Sarah Secrist (holding certificate, left), Mia Boyd (holding certficate, right) and their band director, Michael Thomas, pose with Board of Education.
South Paulding High School
- Destini, a senior, is a Trombone player and plans to attend a four-year university and major in biochemistry
- Blake, a senior, is a Tuba player and plans to attend KSU and major in Computer Science
- Cariyah, a senior, is a clarinet player and plans to go to school to become a dermatologist.
The Director of Bands at South Paulding High School is Mr. DJ McConnell and the Assistant Band Director is Mrs. Bethany Greene. Next month, the bands of South Paulding High School will be guest performers at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.
Cariyah Rouse (holding certificate, left), Blake Holcomb (holding certficate, center), Destini Chambers (holding certificate, right) and their band director, DJ McConnell, pose with Board of Education.
North Paulding High School
- Zoe, a senior, is an alto sax player who is planning to attend Georgia Southern University to major in Biology in order to become a physician assistant specializing in trauma.
- Sydney, a junior, is a flute player who plans to attend a major university in either Georgia or Alabama, play in a large college marching band, and possibly double major in music education and chemistry to become a music educator with a backup job in the medical field.
The Director of Bands at North Paulding High School is Mr. Mike Bearden and the Assistant Band Director is Mr. Teddy Mack. Later this month, the North Paulding High School Wind Symphony will be a guest performance ensemble at the Georgia Music Educators Association’s in-service conference in Athens.
Zoe Valcone (holding certificate, left), Sydney Simmons (holding certificate, right) and their band director Mike Bearden (front center), pose with Board of Education.
Paulding County High School
- Rhys, a senior, is a flute player whose plans include attending Jacksonville State University and double majoring in Music Performance & Music Education and minoring in Business Administration.
- Courtney, a junior, is a flute player whose plans include majoring in Chemistry or Pre-Pharmacy and entering the medical field.
The Director of Bands at Paulding County High School is Mr. Aaron Toft and the Assistant Band Director is Ms. Krista Berezo.
Rhys Mohler (holding certificate, left), Courtney Honore (holding certificate, right), and their band director Aaron Toft pose with Board of Education.
Hiram High School
- Sydnee, a senior, is a clarinet player who plans to major in music education and become a high school choral conductor.
- Janna, a junior, is a clarinet player who plans to either major in business or nursing when she attends college.
The Director of Bands at Hiram High School is Dr. Adrian Gibson and the Assistant Band Director is Mr. Mitchell Roberts.
Sydney Goode (holding certificate, left), Janna Warren (holding certificate, right) and their band director Dr. Adrian Gibson (front, purple shirt), and assistant band director Mitchell Roberts (right center) pose with Board of Education.